Skip to main content

Telecos to begin 5G trials in Gilgit-Baltistan soon

ISLAMABAD: The path for the launch of 5G in Gilgit-Baltistan (GB) has been cleared as policy directives for trials have been approved, with four telecommunication operations expected to begin testing soon.

The GB Council, chaired by Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, has approved the summary to launch 5G test trials in the region; the approval is expected to be received by the telecom sector regulator in the coming week.

GB Caretaker Information Technology Minister Ghulam Abbas said the council’s secretariat had prepared a summary seeking the approval of policy directives for 5G trials.

He said that the summary had been endorsed by the ministries of Law and IT. He said that after the prime minister’s approval, the summary will now be sent back to the IT ministry.

“The Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) is the telecom sector regulator. The IT ministry will authorise the PTA to initiate the 5G test trials,” Abbas said.

The 5G spectrum auction was held in the country last month on March 10, but GB and Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) were not included as separate regulations apply to these regions.

Meanwhile, a senior PTA official said that the policy had already been drafted. He said that following the IT ministry’s approval, the four telecom companies operating in GB would be directed to initiate trials.

After the merger of Ufone with Telenor Pakistan, there are three telecom companies operational in the country, including Zong and Jazz. However, the Special Communications Organisation (SCO), a state-owned subsidiary of the IT ministry, operates only in GB and AJK.

The PTA official said that the authority would issue directives to the four telecom companies to start preparing for trials ahead of the 5G spectrum auction in GB.

Three bands are primarily used for 5G services; 2,300 megahertz (MHz), 2,600 MHz and 3,500 MHz. The telecommunication authority will release bands in these frequencies for the test trials.

The trials will allow telecom companies to test their system and its compatibility with the new frequencies across the region. This allows companies to strategise their future planning to participate in the spectrum auction.



from Dawn - Home https://ift.tt/91SPWGr

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ministers rubbish notion that proposed retirement age extension to favour ‘one particular institution’

Information Minister Attaullah Tarar on Tuesday rubbished the notion that a proposed extension in the retirement age was to favour “one particular institution”, adding that the move would be implemented across the board if approved. The rebuttal comes in the wake of media reports claiming that the government was mulling changes to the Constitution to fix the tenure of the chief justice . Currently, judges of the Supreme Court, including the chief justice, retire after attaining the age of superannuation, i.e. 65 years, as stipulated in Article 179 of the Constitution. While giving his opinion recently on the reports of the constitutional amendment, Law Minister Azam Nazeer Tarar had said he “will not vehemently turn down the proposals related to the tenure of the chief justice”. Addressing the issue during a press conference in Islamabad today along since Finance Minister Muhammad Aurangzeb and the law minister, Attaullah said the extension in the retirement age was “a proposal to a...

Explainer: Iran’s economy faces rocky road amid rising prices, falling currency

Iran’s economy is going through one of its most difficult periods in years, fueled by sanctions, high inflation, and a significant drop in the value of the national currency, the rial. These pressures have had a direct impact on living standards and have also fueled recent protests. The protests began on Dec. 28 in commercial hubs in the capital Tehran, when shopkeepers, merchants, and small business owners staged strikes and demonstrations to protest soaring inflation, the collapsing rial, and deteriorating economic conditions, and have since grown into nationwide anti-government expressions of discontent involving workers, students, and others across multiple cities. The Iranian president said Sunday that his government is determined to address Iran’s economic problems amid the protests. Masoud Pezeshkian said the government admits to “shortcomings and problems” and is working hard to alleviate the people’s concerns, especially on the economy. Currency collapse at the centre of c...

Mitchell Starc surpasses Wasim Akram as most prolific left-arm pacer in Test history

Australian veteran Mitchell Starc became the most prolific left-arm paceman in Test history on Thursday, surpassing Pakistan great Wasim Akram. The 35-year-old bagged England’s Harry Brook at the Gabba in Brisbane on day one of the day-night second Ashes Test for his 415th wicket since his debut at the same ground 14 years ago. It moved him past Wasim, widely recognised as the greatest left-arm bowler the sport has seen. Wasim played 104 Tests for his 414 wickets with Starc reaching the milestone in his 102nd, helped by a career-best 7-58 in the first innings of the opening Ashes Test at Perth. Starc is now 16th on the all-time wicket-taker list and could move above both India’s Harbhajan Singh (417) and South Africa’s Shaun Pollock (421) in the current pink-ball Test. After that he will have New Zealand’s Richard Hadlee (431) in his sights. from Dawn - Home https://ift.tt/xclHiX2