Skip to main content

US grapples with defining mandate for Gaza stabilisation force

The United States (US) is facing a delicate balancing act in defining the mandate for a proposed International Stabilisation Force (ISF) in Gaza.

Any plan must address the concerns of potential troop-contributing countries while also satisfying Israel’s security demands — a combination that has so far proven elusive.

As diplomats gathered this week in Doha and Miami, it became clear that clarity on legal authority, rules of engagement, and operational responsibilities is a prerequisite for any country, particularly Muslim-majority nations, to commit troops.

Until these questions are resolved, phase two of the Gaza peace plan risks remaining largely a blueprint on paper rather than an actionable plan.

Consultations in Doha and Miami

Earlier this week, the United States and its partners convened a conference in Doha, Qatar, bringing together representatives from more than two dozen countries to discuss key aspects of the ISF, including leadership, rules of engagement, and operational structure.

The meeting, however, failed to produce a mandate that would satisfy both Israel and potential troop contributors.

The lack of consensus highlighted the challenge Washington faces in moving from a diplomatic framework to an actionable plan.

Turkish officials, for example, reiterated their readiness to participate, despite Israel’s objection to their participation.

On Friday, Washington hosted senior officials from Qatar, Egypt, and Turkiye in Miami to advance discussions on the second phase of the ceasefire.

The talks, led by US President Donald Trump’s special envoy Steve Witkoff, aimed to bridge gaps rather than finalise agreements. Israel and Hamas were not directly represented.

The second phase envisions three intertwined steps: the withdrawal of Israeli forces from Gaza, the establishment of an interim governing authority, and deployment of the proposed ISF to maintain order.

Officials described the discussions as constructive but acknowledged slow progress.

The talks occurred amid continued hostilities. An Israeli strike on a shelter in Gaza City’s Tuffah neighbourhood killed at least six Palestinians and wounded several others.

Diplomats have warned that deploying an international force without a clearly defined mandate could place troops directly in harm’s way.

‘Mandate first, commitments later’

In his remarks during a press briefing on Friday, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio emphasised that defining the mandate is a prerequisite for troop contributions.

Key questions remain unresolved, including the force’s legal authority, command structure, funding, rules of engagement, and duration.

“We owe countries more answers before we can ask them to firmly commit,” Rubio said, noting that several states have expressed willingness to consider participation, but no formal commitments should be expected at this stage.

Rubio specifically mentioned Pakistan, noting that Islamabad had offered to be considered for participation but had not formally committed.

He described Washington as “very grateful to Pakistan for their offer to be a part of it, or at least their offer to consider being a part of it,” while stressing that clarity on mandate and operational details is needed before any troop contribution.

Pakistan, Rubio added, could be a key partner if a mandate is finalised and concerns expressed by Muslim nations are addressed.

Rubio also outlined plans for a “Board of Peace” and a Palestinian technocratic committee to oversee day-to-day governance.

“I think the next step here is announcing the Board of Peace, announcing the Palestinian technocratic group that will help provide daily governance.  And then once that’s in place, I think that will allow us to firm up the stabilisation force, including how it’s going to be paid for, what the rules of engagement are, what their role will be in demilitarization and so forth,” he said.

US officials view these interim bodies as essential to providing a political framework that legitimises the ISF.

Without such structures, foreign troops risk operating in a political vacuum, caught between competing claims of authority.

Disarmament — the main sticking point

Disarmament of Hamas remains highly contentious. Bassem Naim, a Hamas official, insisted that talks must compel Israel to end truce violations and allow increased humanitarian aid.

Earlier this week, Hamas chief Khalil al-Hayya said that the group had a “legitimate right” to hold weapons and that any proposal for the next phases of the Gaza ceasefire must uphold that right.

Hamas has resisted full disarmament, arguing such steps cannot precede a credible political settlement.

Israel, meanwhile, demands assurances that Gaza will not again become a Hamas stronghold.

Rubio indicated that Washington aims to dismantle Hamas’ military capabilities while leaving room for further negotiation.

Meanwhile, the humanitarian situation in Gaza remains dire. While the famine has officially been declared to have been averted, UN agencies warn that the population remains at serious risk.

Diplomatic tensions are compounded by the US House’s vote to sanction the International Criminal Court over its war crimes investigation — a move welcomed by Israel but criticised by human rights groups and several Muslim nations.

A long, uncertain road

Rubio estimated that full implementation of the second phase of the Gaza peace plan could take two to three years.

So far, the ISF remains largely conceptual rather than deployable.

What the Doha and Miami talks, along with Rubio’s statements, reveal is a broader reality: phase two is as much a political transition as a security arrangement, and no country — including Pakistan — is likely to commit troops until the ISF’s mandate, authority, and political framework are clearly defined.


Header image: Displaced Palestinians stand next to destroyed houses in Nuseirat camp in the central Gaza Strip on December 19, 2025.



from Dawn - Home https://ift.tt/BhX7Ptz

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ministers rubbish notion that proposed retirement age extension to favour ‘one particular institution’

Information Minister Attaullah Tarar on Tuesday rubbished the notion that a proposed extension in the retirement age was to favour “one particular institution”, adding that the move would be implemented across the board if approved. The rebuttal comes in the wake of media reports claiming that the government was mulling changes to the Constitution to fix the tenure of the chief justice . Currently, judges of the Supreme Court, including the chief justice, retire after attaining the age of superannuation, i.e. 65 years, as stipulated in Article 179 of the Constitution. While giving his opinion recently on the reports of the constitutional amendment, Law Minister Azam Nazeer Tarar had said he “will not vehemently turn down the proposals related to the tenure of the chief justice”. Addressing the issue during a press conference in Islamabad today along since Finance Minister Muhammad Aurangzeb and the law minister, Attaullah said the extension in the retirement age was “a proposal to a...

Explainer: Iran’s economy faces rocky road amid rising prices, falling currency

Iran’s economy is going through one of its most difficult periods in years, fueled by sanctions, high inflation, and a significant drop in the value of the national currency, the rial. These pressures have had a direct impact on living standards and have also fueled recent protests. The protests began on Dec. 28 in commercial hubs in the capital Tehran, when shopkeepers, merchants, and small business owners staged strikes and demonstrations to protest soaring inflation, the collapsing rial, and deteriorating economic conditions, and have since grown into nationwide anti-government expressions of discontent involving workers, students, and others across multiple cities. The Iranian president said Sunday that his government is determined to address Iran’s economic problems amid the protests. Masoud Pezeshkian said the government admits to “shortcomings and problems” and is working hard to alleviate the people’s concerns, especially on the economy. Currency collapse at the centre of c...

Mitchell Starc surpasses Wasim Akram as most prolific left-arm pacer in Test history

Australian veteran Mitchell Starc became the most prolific left-arm paceman in Test history on Thursday, surpassing Pakistan great Wasim Akram. The 35-year-old bagged England’s Harry Brook at the Gabba in Brisbane on day one of the day-night second Ashes Test for his 415th wicket since his debut at the same ground 14 years ago. It moved him past Wasim, widely recognised as the greatest left-arm bowler the sport has seen. Wasim played 104 Tests for his 414 wickets with Starc reaching the milestone in his 102nd, helped by a career-best 7-58 in the first innings of the opening Ashes Test at Perth. Starc is now 16th on the all-time wicket-taker list and could move above both India’s Harbhajan Singh (417) and South Africa’s Shaun Pollock (421) in the current pink-ball Test. After that he will have New Zealand’s Richard Hadlee (431) in his sights. from Dawn - Home https://ift.tt/xclHiX2