Skip to main content

Indians demand justice in candlelight march for raped, murdered doctor

Vast crowds of Indians bearing candles marched through the streets of Kolkata early on Thursday, demanding justice nearly one month on since the rape and murder of a doctor.

The discovery of the 31-year-old doctor’s bloodied body at a state-run hospital in Kolkata on August 9 has stoked nationwide anger at the chronic issue of violence against women.

“We want justice”, read one message spelt out in flickering candles and clay lamps.

“Let there be light, let there be justice”, a sign held by protesters read.

The brutal murder has triggered protests across India — and repeated strikes by medics — demanding safer conditions for women.

While many protests and strikes have since calmed in the rest of India, regular demonstrations continue in the sprawling megacity of Kolkata.

Police said as many as 100,000 took part in the rally in Kolkata. Similar but smaller rallies were also held in the capital New Delhi.

“The heart of the entire nation is torn,” said protester Rubina Mukherjee.

Thousands gathered late on Wednesday evening, joining hundreds of doctors who are maintaining a strike, linking arms to form a human chain in a protest to “reclaim the night”.

Many lights were turned out for an hour, plunging a swath of the city into darkness, with protesters bearing flaming torches lighting up the city’s night sky like fireflies.

“We will take back the night, time and again, until justice is delivered,” said 35-year-old housewife Smita Roy.

People chant during a demonstration to condemn the rape and murder of a doctor, at the RG Kar Medical College and Hospital in Kolkata, on September 4, 2024. — AFP
People chant during a demonstration to condemn the rape and murder of a doctor, at the RG Kar Medical College and Hospital in Kolkata, on September 4, 2024. — AFP

‘Broken hearts’

Traffic ground to a halt in Kolkata’s usually bustling main city streets, as women blocked the route with a mass sit-in, waving a sea of Indian flags. At times, crowds shouted in anger, chanting “We Want Justice”.

But they also paused in quiet reflection as the candles were lit, before softly singing.

The father of the murdered doctor also spoke at the rally outside the hospital where her battered body had been found, talking of his family’s “broken hearts” and how they had been “shocked to the core” by the killing.

Demonstrators have given the murdered doctor the nickname “Abhaya”, meaning “fearless”.

One man has been detained for the murder, but West Bengal’s government has faced public criticism for the handling of the investigation.

The father spoke in fury at what he said had been “so much pressure” on his family to rapidly cremate her body.

“We wanted to keep her body… What was the hurry to cremate her? Mystery shrouds her death”, he said.

He also dismissed a state law passed on Tuesday — that could lead to the execution of rapists — as nothing “but a populist sham”.

‘Horrific’

The protests were largely peaceful, although in places, small scuffles between the protesters and supporters of West Bengal state’s ruling party, the All India Trinamool Congress (AITC), broke out.

“Justice delayed is justice denied”, said schoolteacher Parbati Roy, 54, holding a candle.

“We are wanting to shed light on the investigation into the rape of the murder of the junior doctor.”

India’s Supreme Court has ordered a national task force to examine how to bolster security for healthcare workers, saying the “horrific” killing had “shocked the conscience of the nation”.

The gruesome nature of the attack has invoked comparisons with the horrific 2012 gang rape and murder of a young woman on a Delhi bus.

It became a major political issue, and was seen as one factor in the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) subsequent success in elections.

An average of nearly 90 rapes a day were reported in 2022 in the country of 1.4 billion people.



from The Dawn News - Home https://ift.tt/nAv2Vdl

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ministers rubbish notion that proposed retirement age extension to favour ‘one particular institution’

Information Minister Attaullah Tarar on Tuesday rubbished the notion that a proposed extension in the retirement age was to favour “one particular institution”, adding that the move would be implemented across the board if approved. The rebuttal comes in the wake of media reports claiming that the government was mulling changes to the Constitution to fix the tenure of the chief justice . Currently, judges of the Supreme Court, including the chief justice, retire after attaining the age of superannuation, i.e. 65 years, as stipulated in Article 179 of the Constitution. While giving his opinion recently on the reports of the constitutional amendment, Law Minister Azam Nazeer Tarar had said he “will not vehemently turn down the proposals related to the tenure of the chief justice”. Addressing the issue during a press conference in Islamabad today along since Finance Minister Muhammad Aurangzeb and the law minister, Attaullah said the extension in the retirement age was “a proposal to a...

Explainer: Iran’s economy faces rocky road amid rising prices, falling currency

Iran’s economy is going through one of its most difficult periods in years, fueled by sanctions, high inflation, and a significant drop in the value of the national currency, the rial. These pressures have had a direct impact on living standards and have also fueled recent protests. The protests began on Dec. 28 in commercial hubs in the capital Tehran, when shopkeepers, merchants, and small business owners staged strikes and demonstrations to protest soaring inflation, the collapsing rial, and deteriorating economic conditions, and have since grown into nationwide anti-government expressions of discontent involving workers, students, and others across multiple cities. The Iranian president said Sunday that his government is determined to address Iran’s economic problems amid the protests. Masoud Pezeshkian said the government admits to “shortcomings and problems” and is working hard to alleviate the people’s concerns, especially on the economy. Currency collapse at the centre of c...

Mitchell Starc surpasses Wasim Akram as most prolific left-arm pacer in Test history

Australian veteran Mitchell Starc became the most prolific left-arm paceman in Test history on Thursday, surpassing Pakistan great Wasim Akram. The 35-year-old bagged England’s Harry Brook at the Gabba in Brisbane on day one of the day-night second Ashes Test for his 415th wicket since his debut at the same ground 14 years ago. It moved him past Wasim, widely recognised as the greatest left-arm bowler the sport has seen. Wasim played 104 Tests for his 414 wickets with Starc reaching the milestone in his 102nd, helped by a career-best 7-58 in the first innings of the opening Ashes Test at Perth. Starc is now 16th on the all-time wicket-taker list and could move above both India’s Harbhajan Singh (417) and South Africa’s Shaun Pollock (421) in the current pink-ball Test. After that he will have New Zealand’s Richard Hadlee (431) in his sights. from Dawn - Home https://ift.tt/xclHiX2