Skip to main content

Govt to abolish all ‘non-strategic’ ministries, says federal minister

Federal Minister for Maritime Affairs, Qaiser Ahmed Sheikh, said on Saturday that the government planned to close or privatise state-owned enterprises (SOEs) and ministries classified as “non-strategic” as part of its austerity measures.

Speaking on Dawn News TV’s programme ‘Doosra Rukh with Nadir Guramani,’ the federal minister emphasised that this move will not only relieve the government of a significant burden but also ensure a focus on “good governance.”

Sheikh said that the government was looking at multiple SOEs and considering whether to privatise them or close them entirely.

“These institutions, for the most part, generate losses and perform poorly,” he said.

“They bring no benefit and people aren’t satisfied with their service.”

He added that the government was holding discussions related to all federal institutions, aiming to privatise most of them.

“There are few that serve a strategic purpose… we need to downsize to ensure better governance.”

Asked about which institutions and ministries would be shut down, Sheikh provided no names but emphasised that they would be either closed or merged with other ministries.

“We are either going to merge one ministry with the other, or we’ll reduce the amount of divisions within them.

“The federal government needs to focus on good governance, so it will only control those institutions that serve a strategic purpose.”

The minister stated that the measures intend to ensure lower expenditures, adding that the government had recently decided to stop offering jobs as well.

“We have banned [offering] jobs as a means to cut down on spending”. Sheikh said. “Our institutions run on tax revenue and so far we are generating losses.

“We aim to maintain a very lean government,” he said.

The minister further stated that in addition to banning new job hirings, serving government officials will be prohibited from purchasing new cars and will be required to cover their own utility bills.

“We looked at how we could further reduce spending and made these decisions,” he maintained.

“Nobody can buy a new car and our cabinet members have said that they will not take additional salary and will pay their own utility bills,” he said, adding that ministers were discouraged from travelling in business class on foreign trips.

“These are stringent measures necessary to maximise savings while reducing expenditures,” Sheikh reiterated.

On Friday, the Ministry for Industries and Production (MoIP) secretary said that the government was considering shutting down all utility stores in the country, as part of the “rightsizing of federal government ministries, and institutions working under them.”

The Utility Stores Corporation (USC), although being run inefficiently, provides lifelines to millions of low-income Pakistanis in the form of subsidised groceries. Reports suggesting their closure raised public concern.

However, on Saturday, Minister for Industries and Production Rana Tanveer Hussain dismissed the impression that the utility stores were being closed, insisting that the government was planning to “restructure” the organisation.

“The decision has been made to close the USC and the Public Works Department,” Tanveer had said.

“We are taking SOEs that are not strategic and intend to either privatise them or operate them under a public-private partnership.”



from The Dawn News - Home https://ift.tt/2VCBaTN

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ministers rubbish notion that proposed retirement age extension to favour ‘one particular institution’

Information Minister Attaullah Tarar on Tuesday rubbished the notion that a proposed extension in the retirement age was to favour “one particular institution”, adding that the move would be implemented across the board if approved. The rebuttal comes in the wake of media reports claiming that the government was mulling changes to the Constitution to fix the tenure of the chief justice . Currently, judges of the Supreme Court, including the chief justice, retire after attaining the age of superannuation, i.e. 65 years, as stipulated in Article 179 of the Constitution. While giving his opinion recently on the reports of the constitutional amendment, Law Minister Azam Nazeer Tarar had said he “will not vehemently turn down the proposals related to the tenure of the chief justice”. Addressing the issue during a press conference in Islamabad today along since Finance Minister Muhammad Aurangzeb and the law minister, Attaullah said the extension in the retirement age was “a proposal to a...

Explainer: Iran’s economy faces rocky road amid rising prices, falling currency

Iran’s economy is going through one of its most difficult periods in years, fueled by sanctions, high inflation, and a significant drop in the value of the national currency, the rial. These pressures have had a direct impact on living standards and have also fueled recent protests. The protests began on Dec. 28 in commercial hubs in the capital Tehran, when shopkeepers, merchants, and small business owners staged strikes and demonstrations to protest soaring inflation, the collapsing rial, and deteriorating economic conditions, and have since grown into nationwide anti-government expressions of discontent involving workers, students, and others across multiple cities. The Iranian president said Sunday that his government is determined to address Iran’s economic problems amid the protests. Masoud Pezeshkian said the government admits to “shortcomings and problems” and is working hard to alleviate the people’s concerns, especially on the economy. Currency collapse at the centre of c...

Mitchell Starc surpasses Wasim Akram as most prolific left-arm pacer in Test history

Australian veteran Mitchell Starc became the most prolific left-arm paceman in Test history on Thursday, surpassing Pakistan great Wasim Akram. The 35-year-old bagged England’s Harry Brook at the Gabba in Brisbane on day one of the day-night second Ashes Test for his 415th wicket since his debut at the same ground 14 years ago. It moved him past Wasim, widely recognised as the greatest left-arm bowler the sport has seen. Wasim played 104 Tests for his 414 wickets with Starc reaching the milestone in his 102nd, helped by a career-best 7-58 in the first innings of the opening Ashes Test at Perth. Starc is now 16th on the all-time wicket-taker list and could move above both India’s Harbhajan Singh (417) and South Africa’s Shaun Pollock (421) in the current pink-ball Test. After that he will have New Zealand’s Richard Hadlee (431) in his sights. from Dawn - Home https://ift.tt/xclHiX2