Skip to main content

Balochistan attacks a plan to ‘ruin’ SCO summit: Interior Minister Naqvi

Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi on Friday said that the recent spate of terrorist attacks in Balochistan was “planned to ruin” a Pakistan-hosted summit of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) scheduled for October.

Islamabad is set to host the SCO Council of Heads of Government meeting from October 15-16 under its rotating chairmanship.

Islamabad has also sent an invite to India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi despite long-standing tensions over occupied Kashmir and allegations of terrorism.

In the latest flare-up of violence, dozens of militants affiliated with the banned Balochistan Liberation Army (BLA) — a separatist outfit — launched numerous attacks on Sunday midnight across Balochistan, killing at least 50, including 14 security men.

Addressing the Senate today, Naqvi said: “We have identified clear links showing that they [terrorists] planned to ruin the SCO conference.

“A lot of people are in anguish [about SCO meeting] so that it should not be organised,” he said, adding that the attacks were a conspiracy against the summit.

The interior minister noted that the Balochistan attacks were devised by not just one body but “terrorist organisations had carried them out together”.

“The incident on the night of August 26 was not a normal one. There was complete planning behind it,” the independent senator emphasised.

Naqvi also informed the Senate that Rs8 billion have been allocated for Balochistan — Rs1bn for each of the eight divisions — while another Rs5bn for the province’s Counterterrorism Department (CTD).

The Rs8bn would be used to “solve minor issues with the support of the local MNAs and MPAs”, the senator explained.

At least 50 people, including 14 security men, lost their lives as militants went on a rampage across the province earlier this week — storming police stations, blowing up railway tracks, and setting fire to almost three dozen vehicles. In response, security forces neutralised 21 militants.

Among those killed were 23 people in Musakhail, mostly labourers from Punjab, who were offloaded from trucks and vans and shot dead after an identity check.

Naqvi vowed his full support for the Balochistan government in combating terrorism when he visited the province on Tuesday.

Following the spate of attacks, Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif asserted that there was “no room for any weakness”, also making a one-day visit to the province to assess the security situation there. Similarly, President Asif Ali Zardari ordered effective measures to ensure the “complete elimination” of terrorism.



from The Dawn News - Home https://ift.tt/cjNaI0n

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ministers rubbish notion that proposed retirement age extension to favour ‘one particular institution’

Information Minister Attaullah Tarar on Tuesday rubbished the notion that a proposed extension in the retirement age was to favour “one particular institution”, adding that the move would be implemented across the board if approved. The rebuttal comes in the wake of media reports claiming that the government was mulling changes to the Constitution to fix the tenure of the chief justice . Currently, judges of the Supreme Court, including the chief justice, retire after attaining the age of superannuation, i.e. 65 years, as stipulated in Article 179 of the Constitution. While giving his opinion recently on the reports of the constitutional amendment, Law Minister Azam Nazeer Tarar had said he “will not vehemently turn down the proposals related to the tenure of the chief justice”. Addressing the issue during a press conference in Islamabad today along since Finance Minister Muhammad Aurangzeb and the law minister, Attaullah said the extension in the retirement age was “a proposal to a...

Explainer: Iran’s economy faces rocky road amid rising prices, falling currency

Iran’s economy is going through one of its most difficult periods in years, fueled by sanctions, high inflation, and a significant drop in the value of the national currency, the rial. These pressures have had a direct impact on living standards and have also fueled recent protests. The protests began on Dec. 28 in commercial hubs in the capital Tehran, when shopkeepers, merchants, and small business owners staged strikes and demonstrations to protest soaring inflation, the collapsing rial, and deteriorating economic conditions, and have since grown into nationwide anti-government expressions of discontent involving workers, students, and others across multiple cities. The Iranian president said Sunday that his government is determined to address Iran’s economic problems amid the protests. Masoud Pezeshkian said the government admits to “shortcomings and problems” and is working hard to alleviate the people’s concerns, especially on the economy. Currency collapse at the centre of c...

Mitchell Starc surpasses Wasim Akram as most prolific left-arm pacer in Test history

Australian veteran Mitchell Starc became the most prolific left-arm paceman in Test history on Thursday, surpassing Pakistan great Wasim Akram. The 35-year-old bagged England’s Harry Brook at the Gabba in Brisbane on day one of the day-night second Ashes Test for his 415th wicket since his debut at the same ground 14 years ago. It moved him past Wasim, widely recognised as the greatest left-arm bowler the sport has seen. Wasim played 104 Tests for his 414 wickets with Starc reaching the milestone in his 102nd, helped by a career-best 7-58 in the first innings of the opening Ashes Test at Perth. Starc is now 16th on the all-time wicket-taker list and could move above both India’s Harbhajan Singh (417) and South Africa’s Shaun Pollock (421) in the current pink-ball Test. After that he will have New Zealand’s Richard Hadlee (431) in his sights. from Dawn - Home https://ift.tt/xclHiX2