THE state’s efforts to stifle political activity in Balochistan are unlikely to improve the situation, and instead may further enflame matters. After the authorities placed obstacles in the way of the BNP-M’s ‘ long march ’, Akhtar Mengal’s party has warned that it will march on Quetta today. The Baloch leader had originally launched a long march from Wadh to the provincial capital on March 28, calling for the release of Mahrang Baloch and other detained women activists. However, unable to reach Quetta due to obstructions placed by the state, the party transformed the procession into a protest sit-in. Negotiations with the state have failed to end the impasse, though the provincial government’s spokesperson said on Saturday the BNP-M may be allowed to march to Quetta, but not to the red zone. In a related move, the provincial head of the JWP has also been detained . Meanwhile, political parties in Balochistan have called on the state to lift restrictions on political activ...
Four people were killed and five others were injured on Saturday morning in a clash between two parties over a land dispute in the Cham Saidan area of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa’s Battagram district, police said. The deceased included three members of a family — Shahzada, his son Ziaullah Shah and brother Muzzarib Shah — according to Abdul Nabi, public relations officer (PRO) for Battagram District Police Officer (DPO) Ayaz Khan. The fourth person killed, Anwar Ali Shah, was from the rival group, PRO Nabi added. Nabi added that the injured people were taken to the Battagram District Headquarters Hospital, from where those in a serious condition were shifted to Abbotabad’s Ayub Teaching Hospital Complex. The official further said that a heavy police deployment had been arranged in the area following the incident. An elderly man receives medical treatment at a hospital after a firing incident over a land dispute in KP’s Battagram district, on April 5, 2025. — Battagram police Subsequent...